Monday, January 17, 2011

Okay, I need some Advice..and you guys better come do the Perry

Okay, I am already signed up for the Perry Roubaix and I hope you guys all come up and race. I am probably going to be racing the weekend before it in Albany as well.

Now, the reason for the advice. I know I am not overtrained as my heart rate if anything has lowered over the past three months. The problem is my legs, as soon as I start putting the heat to the pedals, they ache and burn like fire. It's not lactic acid (I think). More of a deeper searing pain, it's truly my limiting factor right now. Heart rate is not an issue, my legs just don't work. They have been this way for say a month now. I am finally past the heavy strength building part of my leg workout now. Ended up with the last week with 8 plates aside on the leg press for 6 reps followed by plyometric jumps for 10 reps. Three to four sets of those, followed by leg extensions and leg curls then 30 to 45 minutes on the spin bike with three sets of four minute intervals at 95% of mhr (or in other words till I slobbered) Again, the heart rate was'nt the problem, It was the muscle pain when came to completing these. Last week I dropped weight down and did sets of 40 reps followed by jumps, then the spin bike, My need of advice, is......will this leg pain pass? Thinking back of previous training, knowing me, I typically lost power after a hard effort and just tried to survive from there which is why I am trying to be stronger. My wattage is around 220 for a 45 minute ride at 130 to 140 bpm, again , the legs hurt by the heart rate is comfortable. I can hold 400 for around two to three minutes (have'nt really tried to hold it longer or go harder as I am still working on base mainly) So for Silk, the question would be last year you said something about holding 280 for like an hour or two, what percentage of heart rate was that? I know I am stronger now, the 220 at an aerobic heart rate is very good for me, two years ago this time of year that number would be around 170-180 on the same trainer, so I am know I am stronger. Today was two and half hours of cold wet miserable outside hill riding and it sucked, my legs hurt, at times I felt very fast, at other times I wanted to park it halfway up the hill, total climbing was just over three thousand feet according to the Garmin. Oh, the Somec is good for about two miles per hour faster average up climbs that are say half a mile long, but I do not like those Speedplays.

Okay guys, I know ya'll want to hear about Amsterdam, New Years eve was crazy, this past Saturday night was crazy, lots of beer that's for sure and that's all I am saying! Ghana sucked, I did not take the Malaria pills so I am hoping I don't get it. Now I am trying to get serious. Current weight.......188. I am on a diet, now please give me some advice and sign up for the race!

6 comments:

  1. Your legs are tired, not letting you drive up your heart rate. They prolly need some easy days to get back in shape (They only get stronger with recovery). Your wattage numbers are on the trainer which doesn't translate to the real world very well. On the bike, at race effort, you would be averaging better than 220 for an hour. Probably at least 260 I would think. Get serious about your weight. 188 ain't roadie weight. HTFU

    ReplyDelete
  2. At race effort I agree it would be much higher. I know I can push higher at a higher heart rate. Yep, I am a muffin top, I am hoping to drop about 10lbs. Spending the morninh up under the truck replacing front seal and oil pan gasket, Gonna take a break and ride in a bit

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing as Mark. If you're saying your active HR is lower, it may be suppressed due to fatigue. If your resting HR is lower, that's different. It just sounds like your body is tired. Plus, anytime I did legs in the gym, for a length of time, I felt more tired and slower in general. BUT, that improved when I quit the leg workouts. I think it's good to do them in the off season, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Resting Heart rate is lower. Perceived effort (pain in legs) is greater than it used to be. Breathing is fone, heart rate is fine, but lactic acid or muscle pain is much greater than it usually is for an aerobic pace of 130 to 140. Yesterday on the trainer was miserable pain at 220 watts, I had no problem going, just my legs would build to crescendo of discomfort every time I pushed it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look better, feel better and am stronger at 200 + I could race Clydes right now but... hoping to get 175 by the end of March. Keep up the good work and put some rest days in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say what Mark and Chris said. Rule of thumb is if your legs won't let your heartrate up they are tired.

    ReplyDelete